Whats everybodys dream project?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudgeFurious

Reaction score
Whats everybodys dream project to do? If you had no money limit or no time limit what would you do?

I would love to build an indoor slide both for me and for the kidos. Something like this:

SAJ_on_slide.jpg

Your dream just became my dream. I was going to say pool, but I would be happier with an indoor slide.

Now that is something you do not get enough of in homes!! Let the fun begin with the slide...and maybe a trampoline to get back up?:D

trebuchet.jpg

I always wanted to know how far I could throw a Volkswagen.

Last edited:
How far could I launch my wifes cat with one of those?

Ratz! What would I need to get the little @$*%$ into orbit?

Trebuchets? Awesome. I always wanted to make a small one but just never have.

Yeah. A small bowling alley like that one is what I figured SJN might add to his outhouse just to give it some pizzazz.

You can buy kits to make small working trebuchets. Just Google "trebuchet kit" and you'll find several web sites selling them. You just put it together.

But, besides pelting your neighbor's house with eggs, what really can you do with a small catapult other than use it as a conversation piece?

Trebuchet.com

What strikes me is that we continually underestimate ancient technology. Our forefathers used wood, leather and natural materials to do many of the same things that we use steel machines and hydraulic cylinders to do. The catapults that were built in the middle ages were capable of throwing rocks weighing hundreds of pounds for hundreds of yards. We're always impressed with ancient technology because we keep forgetting that evolution takes millions of years, not hundreds or even thousands. Everyone who lived during all of recorded history was just as smart, motivated and resourceful as any of us are today.

Never heard of punkin chunkin until now. I guess it's pretty much an American thing.

But, who knows, it could become an exhibition sport if Delaware ever hosts the Olympic Games. My money would be on France or England. They built the best catapults during the middle ages.

Last edited:
Never heard of punkin chunkin until now. I guess it's pretty much an American thing.

But, who knows, it could become an exhibition sport if Delaware ever hosts the Olympic Games. My money would be on France or England. They built the best catapults during the middle ages.

That was then, this is now... well, before redneck engineering anyway;)

Speaking of engineering, did you know that when they first put wheels on catapults they found that adding wheels to them made them throw considerably further. No one expected that would happen.

And, the reason why it happened is that when the catapult is ready to fire, the counter weight is on one side of the catapult (or trebuchet). As that counterweight falls, the entire mass of the catapult moves forward to get into alignment with the center of mass of the counterweight. Since this happens during the throwing movement of the arm, the weight being thrown gets an initial velocity due to the movement of the entire catapult, and then the action of the catapult adds to that initial velocity. The result is that a catapult would throw further than it would if it remained stationary.

Just goes to show you that then (back in the middle ages) as now, lots of scientific discoveries were made purely by accident.

That's only because we weren't around to be awesome.

Speaking of engineering, did you know that when they first put wheels on catapults they found that adding wheels to them made them throw considerably further. No one expected that would happen.

And, the reason why it happened is that when the catapult is ready to fire, the counter weight is on one side of the catapult (or trebuchet). As that counterweight falls, the entire mass of the catapult moves forward to get into alignment with the center of mass of the counterweight. Since this happens during the throwing movement of the arm, the weight being thrown gets an initial velocity due to the movement of the entire catapult, and then the action of the catapult adds to that initial velocity. The result is that a catapult would throw further than it would if it remained stationary.

Just goes to show you that then (back in the middle ages) as now, lots of scientific discoveries were made purely by accident.

I love it. I actually saw a show about them recently and they mentioned that the discovery was an accident.

Just thought I'd revive a couple of dead threads and mash them together.

First, I would borrow the time machine from the outhouse thread mentioned above, travel back in time and give myself a good kick in the rear along with the idea to get a degree in structural engineering.

Armed with my useful knowledge and the profits from some "lucky" investments, I would buy neglected old houses and return them to their former glory, starting with my great-grandparents gothic style farmhouse and my great-great-great-grandfather's log cabin.

Back