Foundation cracks around footing.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Backstory:
The deck was turned into a sunroom, under the deck is a crawlspace with what looks like steel posts on each corner. Cement blocks were placed in between the posts and cement was used to fill the gaps between the cement blocks and the posts.

Problem:
The cement that was used to fill the gaps between the steel posts and cement blocks has cracked away leaving a space to outside along both sides of the posts.

What is the best way to fill the gaps and seal the crawl space? I'll post pictures later tonight, Thanks guys!

If you just want to fill the crack and structure isn't in question. Just use cord and caulk. Dap makes a chaulk for concrete and a foam cord is stuff in the crack for backing. Foam cord comes in many sizes.

Thanks Nealtw, How can I very the structure. I always want to be safe rather than sorry

IF the origanal deck was placed on footing and the filler wall could hae been placed on less of a footing or not attached to the origanal footing. You want to look at the area where the crack is to see if there is evidence of the two moving independently of each other. Substantual movement should have showed up in other places too. Either way filling the cracks with a flexable caulk does not stop you from making othe repairs later if the need arises. I was just making sure that your question didn't include a structural repair too.

Here is a picture of the cracking from the outside, light is visible from the inside and I bet water is coming in as it has been raining like crazy here. Light can be seen the length of the post, I also noticed its pretty rusty, should I sand it down and prime it somehow before sealing it? Should I dig down at all? if so what should i use? Thanks

2013-05-29 15.55.08.jpg

When they place rebar in concrete the want 2" of concrete between the steel and the surface so that air and water will not get to the steel. If it does the steel will rust expand and break the concrete. So non of this looks good and then they back filled it over the foot of the steel supplying it with lots of water.
I would dig down to the base and inspect the steel to see if it is even worth saving. Then chip away all the concrete between the steel and the block walls and sandblast the steel all around and prime and paint it above ground level. Form up and pour concrete in a block around the pipe to 8" above ground level 2 03 inches thick and caulk the rest. Waterproof the concrete before backfilling.
Or as you have a solid foundation, just haul it out of there and fill it in with block and call it done.

Concrete is the best material to fix the leakage of wall. It is durable and cost-effective. Mostly driveways are also made of concrete so that maintenance of path can be reduced.

Back