Getting Rid of Skunks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
OK, came home last night and there were two good sized skunks playing on the neighbor's front lawn ... Later that night they got into it in my backyard with the inevitable spraying problem. This morning, I discovered those bastards had dug under my fence in three places.

They gotta GO!

So, what is your favorite skunk deterrent (shotgun is not possible in this residential neighborhood)?

Skunk-Babies.jpg

I am going with a "denial of entry" strategy and chemical warfare.

1. Put a good quantity of mothballs in a jar with a perforated lid under the fence, open end pointed upward. They hate that smell. Burying the jar preserves the mothballs so they last a long time.

2. Bury bricks in the holes where they dug under the fence. This discourages them from re-digging.

Will let you know how this all works out.

Pepe'_Le_Pew.gif

You might want to contact animal control and work with them on live trapping. I do not think you want to live trap them yourself! Another option is rat poison mixed with gravy - but only do this in a way that is out of reach of any neighborhood pets and only at night. Animal control would be your better option though.

Last edited:
Better looking than a Doberman and almost as smart ... not going within 12 feet of those critters. My idea is to push them out of the yard and let somebody else deal with the trapping ... I am hardly ever around but the night time will get ugly as the Summer advances.

I just walked up to them and grabbed the tail before they respond. Usually I just move them elsewhere but chicken thieves got shot.

It seems the fence blocking was partially effective ... What also seems to be working is a feral cat which has decided to sleep in the backyard at night. There have been several loud confrontations in the wee hours ... the cat seems to have claimed the space.

BUH BYE skunks.

Feral cats attract possums that try to mate/eat said feral cats.

Back