Ceramic tiling over concrete abutting hardwood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCNelson

Reaction score
The photo shows a fireplace into which I've poured concrete (over the original uneven firebrick) to level the hearth with the main wood floor. A woodburning insert will be installed. I want to lay tiles over both the front of the concrete section and the first foot of the wood floor, as shown by the first two tiles. If I just lay 1/4" Durarock over both the wood and concrete (on a layer of thinset over both) and then screw it only onto the wood, will it hold up fine as my base for tiling?

That concrete apron in front is about 2" deep, as there used to be a brick-lined floor recess there, tiled on the bottom.

508_Hearth_for_tiling_20.jpg

Are those 12" tiles? The concrete apron seems like it should be enough if you think you want to end the tiles there. If you want to come out the extra foot, you might want to remove the wood flooring & lay down a secure base for the tile.

Nelson,

Your plan does not abide to the proper way to do the job on two levels.

We do not install tile backer over concrete.
We do not install tile backer over any plank or hardwood flooring.

You made the job more difficult to finish correctly once you installed concrete over the depressed area.

I'm assuming there's a wooden subfloor under the hardwood and not a slab, is that right?

Jaz

Yes, slownsteady, they're 12'" tiles. I'd tile just the concrete, but the installer said 16" in front of the stove was needed, as the wood would be too close to the heat otherwise.

Jaz, I'm aware backer isn't used over concrete and I'd gladly set the tile right on the concrete, but then how would I get it level with the tile on the plank floor (though which you say don't lay over backer either!)? Correct, there's no slab so it'll be a subfloor. I'd be interested to know what you'd have recommended before I filled the recess with concrete (yeah, I should have asked three days ago before pouring), and what you'd recommend now that I've gone and done it. Note the bricks lining the recess. I've now ground them down flush with the wood and concrete.

Thanks,
Jim

JCNelson said:
I'd be interested to know what you'd have recommended before I filled the recess with concrete

I woulda removed some wood first which would have taken the floor down ¾" to the subfloor. Then I'd mud (sand cement) that area and continue the mud over the old brick making everything flat and level with the hardwood. I would remove about ¼" mud next to the hardwood and probably cut an expansion space at the wood subfloor/old brick base line. Then install the tiles. I'd finish the ends of the tiles on all 3 sides using a wood reducer to match the hardwood. Use colored caulk next to the wood reducer and the joint over where the old brick base and wood subfloor meet.

But too late now..........

So, go ahead and continue as you described. After all it's not a life or death situation and other than a few minor hairline cracks it might work enough to get by. Be sure to apply weights evenly on the Durock overnight while it all dries.

Jaz

Just a thought, If you have room you could add another 3" of re-inforced concrete over the wood and have a raised harth.

Another tile pro also said something similar -- though CB shouldn't be laid over concrete, it would probably be OK in a low-traffic area like this. But I'll still need to feed fuel into the stove, and walking over the hardwood floor next to the hearth, I hear a little creaking, which says flexing. Actually Jaz, it looks like the solution you wrote out isn't too late. You were assuming the current state, with the recessed area already filled in with concrete. So maybe I'll do just as you suggested.

The raised-hearth idea (thanks nealtw) is tempting. In that case I guess it would still be safest to take out some of the hardwood planking to get down to a stable base.

Will post a pic when done (soon, I hope, as it's chilly in this house with only a propane wall unit!). Great to have this forum.

Here's how it went. We pulled out the floorboards and poured the sand-mortar slab on 3-mil plastic film over the particleboard subfloor. Overlooked making the expansion joint mentioned by Jaz but maybe the plastic will make that unnecessary. Then laid the tile as shown. True, it's a tiny job (and still needs the finish work), but I'm thankful for pros taking the time to share their experience, and am guessing the job will now hold up as long as anything around it.

526_Finished_slab_on_subfloor_25.jpg

527_Laying_hearth_tile_25.jpg

Back