Cleaning Antique Tiles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiamond

Reaction score
Sorry also posted elsewhere...

Hi all,

First post - but would really appreciate some advice.

We're doing up an old farm house in Galloway and I'm stuck on what to do with the kitchen floor. I think it could be lovely, but the tiles are pretty grubby.

(photos attached)

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

ForumRunner_20111124_221410.png

ForumRunner_20111124_221446.png

ForumRunner_20111124_221459.png

What's going on in that first picture? It looks like some are curled up and loose.

Thanks Neal!!

Hi Joe, they're just a little uneven. Don't think any are loose.

vinegar would be perfect for the job. Good, cheap, plain white vinegar. What I find works really well is to soak an old towel or some rags with the vinegar and lay them over the area that needs cleaning. Leave the rags there for as long as you can stand to wait. If you can leave them there for a couple hours they'll really go to work for you. Get an abraisvie scrub brush or a plastic scouring pad to losen any hard water deposits that might still be lingering. They'll most likely come off easily since the vinegar has had the time to work on them.

Mix together an equal amount of bleach and a neutral household detergent and apply the mixture to the tile in order to eliminate mold, mildew or other organic materials growing on the tile. Do not leave the bleach on the tile for more than a few minutes, to avoid efflorescence damage.

Yes, some tiles are uneven and need to be prepared. For cleaning it vinegar will be the best effective. It will clean all the grabs from the tiles.

Apply a commercial floor cleaner that is not soap-based, rather one planned for cleaning ceramic tile. Scrub the cleaner off with a rag.

Use a plastic pot scrubber to loosen and remove some of the dirt. This tool will not harm the surface of the tiles like most scrubbing techniques would.

Well I think you should contact to some professional floor cleaner because he can clean this more good then you because they have all the equipment to cleaning.. so don't waste your time and money by cleaning this yourself and call some cleaning service provider. Good Luck

This is a diy site and welcome.

Latest posts

Back