Natural stone flooring - cleaning and sealing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Greetings,

My house has a natural stone flooring in the laundry room, which happens to be the access to the house from the garage. With our cold winters, there is always salt on the streets that end up in the house. The stones are in desperate need of deep cleaning. So, I figure I would ask before I do anything that I might regret later. I am considering doing a steam cleaning as I have a steamer. Then, I would love to seal the stones as to avoid any potential stains and also to be easier to clean in the future. Now, I do not know if it is soap stone or what type of stone. It is light in color and has natural "cavities" and such. So, the question is: can I steam clean it? What is the best sealant? If using a product is better for cleaning, can anyone recommend one?
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

For cleaning I normally use a product named Grimex but can't remember the manufacturer. For sealant I use Lithofin Stain Stop.

Check out stone tech , I highly reccomend the bullet proof sealer, but they also make a salt resistant sealer that might suit your situation.
It was actually developed for use for stone around salt water pools

Latest posts

Back