Cleaning soot off of fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
my fireplace is pretty dirty, what can i use to clean the soot off, ant recommendations? Thanks

Heres a pic of the fireplace, it needs some tlc. I googled and found the same article, Ill follow the instructions and see how it comes out. Should I avoid chemicals? Thoughts on painting fireplaces? Thanks

2013-08-17 12.27.51.jpg

It should be considered a crime to paint over anything made of brick. Doing so will instantly lessen the value of your property. And paint won't stick to soot, so why bother?

i followed the instructions in that link and it worked like a charm, here is the after.

2013-10-05 19.31.00.jpg

I hope you are not going to paint it now. But either way you need to look at why the soot got there in the first place. With older houses that leaked air like mad, there was lot,s of replacement air to feed the fire, of coarse that was all those drafts that we didn't like. After years of trying to tighten up houses even older houses have tightened up and now we have close dryers, bathroom and hood fans and maybe furnace all looking for replacement air. And sometimes just poor fireplace design and sometimes a decritive sheet metal flashing across the top of the opening will help.
Sometimes it's just how the fire is started and insuring the draft before droping the flame on the kindling.

Latest posts

Back