What are you drinking right now?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a day of disbelief for a lot of folks. Remember well where I was that morning, what I was doing and who I was talking to..drinking a Corona and remembering a time with a lot of bad memories.

I've had six shots of espresso in 45 minutes. It's Saturday. The wife is going shopping and I have a long day of napping and video games.

Coffee, getting ready to install my new no maintenance lawn.

Fresh ground coffee, while waiting to babysit my beloved grandson.

That is a nice remembrance of a really bad day for Americans. Was this the site of the crash where the American hero said, "Let's Roll?"

I was typing this comment while sipping a glass of ice tea.

Yes it was "lets roll" Shanksville Pa. Flight 93. Highly recommend going if you are in area.

Drinking coffee heading off to another Frank Lloyd Wright house "Kentucky Knob".

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Work coffee after a week off. Not as good as hotel coffee, even though it tastes the same.
Something about location effects the taste.
:(

Bud, no review of Kentucky Knob?

Kentuck Knob is the correct name and cannot be spelled from a blasted iPhone that keeps correcting the spelling. Lol. It was a really nice tour and nice seeing a Wright design that wasn’t quite as grandiose as Falling Water was nice. FLW had this idea way before its time of building homes that were affordable for the common man and he called it “Usonian” And it was to blend homes into nature and use building materials that kept cost down like concrete. This house was supposed to be that type but because only very rich people could hire him they ended up costing 10 times what the average man could afford anyway.

We spent almost 4 hours there and the inside tour was only 30 minutes but the grounds were quite a bit to see and the view of the surrounding mountains is amazing. One point you can see 3 other states besides PA.

As a young man I was a big fan of FLW designs and my dad even was influenced by this Usonian idea and the house I grew up in my dad built had a lot of these ideas in the design. As I get older I still appreciate the artistic side of these homes but see where some of the structural stuff was experiments that didn’t work out so good.

This house was totally beautiful if you like rock and natural wood in a wooded setting as I do. It’s always fun to see how people’s needs change over the years. What was called a master bedroom in the 40’s is now about the size of a walk in closet. These super rich people were fine with a 6x8 bathroom.

One of the design elements I like and have used in my own houses that you don’t see much anymore is how in a FLW design he makes entry ways and hall ways lower and tighter and then they open into spaces that have higher ceilings and width and that compression makes the area you come into seem even bigger than it is. You almost feel like you are on a boat passage way.

I would recommend both homes to tour if you are in the area.

Back