Turning on dishwasher after a long while: any possible issues?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
We have a rental condo where we installed a brand new dishwasher about 2 years ago before the current tenant moved in. He's a young single guy so turns out he (i) did not use the d/w a single time in these 2 years; and (ii) he was kind of messy so the d/w has traces of cockroaches inside both inside and outside.

I want to try turning the machine on to clean it up a bit and verify if it's fully functional. What are the changes that I'll have a flood or some other major malfunction if the unit stood unused and got "occupied" this way?

We have a rental condo where we installed a brand new dishwasher about 2 years ago before the current tenant moved in. He's a young single guy so turns out he (i) did not use the d/w a single time in these 2 years; and (ii) he was kind of messy so the d/w has traces of cockroaches inside both inside and outside.

I want to try turning the machine on to clean it up a bit and verify if it's fully functional. What are the changes that I'll have a flood or some other major malfunction if the unit stood unused and got "occupied" this way?

Remove the toe kick trim panel and run it in a rinse/drain cycle and then if there are no leaks run a full cycle.

I would use a hot water cycle to dissolve any crud within. You could also do a quick test by filling it a minimal amount - possibly by hand, and then just try a drain cycle.

OK will give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks all for the info!

Ran it this morning, no issues. Great! Thanks to all the feedback here, felt more confident doing it!

Back