how to connect zone valve to thermostat and transistor ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acproblem

Reaction score
I have a problem to connect the thermostat/transistor wires to upper part of the zone valve (the picture with a red circle). I needed to replace the valve as it was leaking water. Now the new valve is on and the new cap is on ..however the wires are still dangling there ;-))
There is one wire coming from transistor - red wire
There are 3 wires coming from termostat (red, black and white). My termostat is heat only (I am heating running hot water in baseboards) so I am not sure the black wire is to be used. Can somebody pls let me know which screw of the valve cap I shall connect the wires to?. Maintenance guy told me if I do it wrong .. I might fry some part in new valve cap or termostat. Thanks a lot for your help

IMG_20120101_144131.jpg

IMG_20120102_113538.jpg

IMG_20120101_144043v.jpg

I have a problem to connect the thermostat/transistor wires to upper part of the zone valve (the picture with a red circle). I needed to replace the valve as it was leaking water. Now the new valve is on and the new cap is on ..however the wires are still dangling there ;-))
There is one wire coming from transistor - red wire
There are 3 wires coming from termostat (red, black and white). My termostat is heat only (I am heating running hot water in baseboards) so I am not sure the black wire is to be used. Can somebody pls let me know which screw of the valve cap I shall connect the wires to?. Maintenance guy told me if I do it wrong .. I might fry some part in new valve cap or termostat. Thanks a lot for your help
You only need the one from the transformer and two from the stat, as long as that zone valve is spring loaded return. I can't see the letters on the valve, can you tell me what they are? Paul

You only need the one from the transformer and two from the stat, as long as that zone valve is spring loaded return. I can't see the letters on the valve, can you tell me what they are? Paul

it is a Taco 571-2
<-- (one way)

Did they use all the wires before? Look at you stat and which wires are tied in there? Paul

I do not think so the black was used at all - it is heat only thermostat. I have put new thermostat. I also think 1 wire from transistor is missing...normally tranasistor should have 2 wires correct ?

I do not think so the black was used at all - it is heat only thermostat. I have put new thermostat. I also think 1 wire from transistor is missing...normally tranasistor should have 2 wires correct ?

If it is red and white going to stat, put red from transformer to post 2 on the zone head, put red from stat to the other post of the transformer, put white from stat on post one of the zone head.

If it is red and white going to stat, put red from transformer to post 2 on the zone head, put red from stat to the other post of the transformer, put white from stat on post one of the zone head.

thanks. so I shall connect the following way ?

IMG_20120104_220257.jpg

It's not a transistor. Stop calling it that. It is a transformer.

These are transistors, at least the bottom row is.

IC-Transistor.jpg

Last edited:
That diagram would certainly turn on the valve. But what turns on the heat? There is more to the system than just the valve and thermostat.

That diagram would certainly turn on the valve. But what turns on the heat? There is more to the system than just the valve and thermostat.

Hi JoeD Paul here. In his first post a few days ago , he said he was on the 5th
floor of a large apartment building so i am assuming since there is not enough wires there to have a cable running to the boiler, that the boiler system has a main that runs hot all the time. It would be controlled by a indoor, outdoor stat, which would control the water temp. This way each apartment can have heat when ever they want it. I have put in system like this and worked on many of them. It would be a bank of boilers. Paul

this is a 50 unit condo. the hot water is provided in the pipe. Problem is I have received another diagram from an electriciain ..he wants to :

Red wire from Transformer to Red from Thermostat.
The white wire from transformer to screw marked "2" on the valve.
The other thermostat wire (I don't know the color) to screw marked "1" on
the valve.
That should do the trick.

IMG_20120105_083428v4.jpg

this is a 50 unit condo. the hot water is provided in the pipe. Problem is I have received another diagram from an electriciain ..he wants to :

Red wire from Transformer to Red from Thermostat.
The white wire from transformer to screw marked "2" on the valve.
The other thermostat wire (I don't know the color) to screw marked "1" on
the valve.
That should do the trick.

he is telling you what normal color code would be . both ways will work. paul

he is telling you what normal color code would be . both ways will work. paul

he is telling me to connect reds together from thermostat and transformer and run abother cable from the other screw on the transformer to screw #2 on the valve (he calls it white)

you are telling me to connect red from thermostat to the screw on transformer and run the other red from transformer to screw #2 on the valve

so the common denominator so far is :
white wire from the thermostat runs to screw #1 onthe valve

so ..both ways will work ? really dont want to damage $100 part of transformer...

he is telling me to connect reds together from thermostat and transformer and run abother cable from the other screw on the transformer to screw #2 on the valve (he calls it white)

you are telling me to connect red from thermostat to the screw on transformer and run the other red from transformer to screw #2 on the valve

so the common denominator so far is :
white wire from the thermostat runs to screw #1 onthe valve

so ..both ways will work ? really dont want to damage $100 part of transformer...

Just use his diagram and it will work fine. Paul

His diagram is the same as yours. He is just using different colours.

The basic principle is that one of the wires between the transformer and the valve has to go through the thermostat and get switched.

His diagram is the same as yours. He is just using different colours.

The basic principle is that one of the wires between the transformer and the valve has to go through the thermostat and get switched.

does the transformer has 2 different poles ? like + or - ?
does it matter to what screw I connect the wire coming from the thermostat and then from transformer to the valve ? if it does not then yes ..either diagram is ok. if it does then I need to know which wire goes where ....

does the transformer has 2 different poles ? like + or - ?
does it matter to what screw I connect the wire coming from the thermostat and then from transformer to the valve ? if it does not then yes ..either diagram is ok. if it does then I need to know which wire goes where ....

It does not make any difference. Take one wire from the transformer ether post and put it on post 2 of zone valve. Take the other transformer post and run that
to stat ether wire as long as you use one of the wires tied to the stat. the other wire coming back from the stat goes to the post 1 of the zone valve
Transformers do have a common and a hot post but in your case it does not matter. If you was using a heat antisapator than it would make a difference. You would run the hot post from the transformer to the stat. paul

It does not make any difference. Take one wire from the transformer ether post and put it on post 2 of zone valve. Take the other transformer post and run that
to stat ether wire as long as you use one of the wires tied to the stat. the other wire coming back from the stat goes to the post 1 of the zone valve
Transformers do have a common and a hot post but in your case it does not matter. If you was using a heat antisapator than it would make a difference. You would run the hot post from the transformer to the stat. paul

this assumes my thermostat does not have a heat anticipator ...what if it does ? I should be able to open it up and see inside if there is some thing to adjust ...that would be the heat anticipator, correct ?

Back