Need suggestions for basement flooring.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTooDeep

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch up some flooring in my basement in a hallway and basement kitchen ~240sqft. I'm looking for a cheaper diy solution. I would like tile looking floor but real tile isn't required.

I've been researching forever on this topic, but flooring seems to be the most controversial topic and makes finding the best solution very difficult.

My thought right now is to use some sort of vinyl flooring. But there's ton a different types available. In addition because it's a basement in a cold weather environment having at least some insulation would be nice, however floor height is a concern as my ceiling is a bit low. And of course making sure the floor is durable, long lasting and water and mold resistant is important.

The way I'm thinking about doing it is using delta fl underlay and then a possibly a floating vinyl tile over it.
Armstrong and allure seem to offer a couple lines of vinyl.
Does anyone have any experience with these models. Either the sheets, clip vinyl flooring, adhesive tile?

Anyone suggestions would be appreciated. My research just seems to be leading me in circles.

You're right - flooring is hard to choose because there are so many choices and considerations. First question for you: since it is a basement, what do you have there now? Concrete or some other surface? And do you have any moisture issues? That would influence your decision a lot. Sheet vinyl is good and relatively easy to install, but if you are covering a large enough area, you will have to deal with a seam.

Right now there is laminate. My plan to cut out only a portion of the laminate and keep the rest. And then put down the vinyl in the kitchen and in the hallway with transition pieces to connect the original laminate with.
I don't know about the moisture issues. My basement can definetly get humid in the summer. It's also an older house. I have a dehumidifier running. But I don't know if there's a serious issue or not.

Well if the laminate is in good shape - and it has been down for a while - the moisture is probably not an issue. Do you know what's under the laminate? The interlocking vinyl planks have mixed reviews, but if they are installed correctly on a smooth surface, they can be good.

I have installed vinyl sheet is a few houses without a problem and have even dealt with a few miner floods with out a problem. It conforms well to the bumps and rolls in the slab.

Well the current laminate is a little rough in some spots. But I'm not sure if it's because its really cheap laminate, was poorly installed or something else.
There is the white foam underlay beneath it.

Can the sheet laminate be installed over foam insulation, or does it need to be put directly over the concrete.

Laminate is usually made with wood fillers. They tend to swell if they get wet. And if they get really wet, they start to de-laminate. If that's what is happening to your floor, you might as well do it all over. You should try to determine whether the moisture (if any) in your basement is a problem or not. That will affect any flooring you choose. Vinyl handles moisture well, but tiles may not stick, and if there is moisture collecting under a sheet floor, you will eventually have to replace it also.

Vinyl sheeting can't be installed over the foam underlay. It will feel nice & fluffy, but the first pair of high heels will just poke holes thru it (same with furniture legs).

Well the current laminate is a little rough in some spots.

Since we do this all with words, a little more detail in things like this would be helpful. Pictures are also helpful.

That's white foam is a vapour barrier because moisture can or will wick up thru the concrete.

You can install Delta underlay and then laminate right over it.
baby_floor.jpg

I'm just not a fan of laminate in the basement. I want a product that is waterproof and easy to clean. Can vinyls products be installed over underlay and/or insulation?

I took a serious look at Dri-core and was set to use it in my basement. Then I started finding posts and articles like this one:
http://www.cqs.com/homeqa/dricore.htm

If you can guarantee your basement will not have water - ever, then maybe Dricore will work for you. It should allow the concrete to breathe, but any bit of water will be a problem.

See statements like "if you can guarantee your basement will not have water" scare me. It's an older house and I'm looking for a long term flooring solution, so that's likely a guarantee I can't make. That's why I'm leaning towards a system that can survive water (just in case). The delta fl underlay seems like a strong candidate for this. I just don't know what to put on top.

From what i have read about Delta, you add a subfloor of plywood (1/2"?) above it and you have all your choices back in play. In which case, i would would be inclined to vinyl planks or sheet flooring.

Would I be able to replace that subfloor with 1/2 foam insulation?

So if I wanted thermal insulation I would need to build a plywood subfloor as well, right? Or are there easier ways?

Just one comment, I have never seen plywood put in a basement or on any concrete floor, that wasn't a disaster. It has ALWAYS failed.

Latest posts

Back