Hot switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadears

Reaction score
So what would make a switch hot. A few years ago I replaced a fan light switch with a dimmer switch. Worked great. Then a couple weeks ago, I turned the light off and found the switch/plate very hot. I looked to see if there was a loose wire, found one kinked, so I cut/stripped it and reattached it. After a bit, I found it warm so I turned it off. Could it be the switch has just gone bad? Or could it be something else. I haven't found this anywhere else in the house.

Dimmer switchs do get warm to the touch when on.
They also come in differant amp. ratings, it should have been rated for 20 amp. any lower and it may get way over heated.

Ok. So since it's getting dark and I had to run by the store, I stopped to see what I had bought...the package says 120volt, 60 hz...

IMAG0341.jpg

Dimmers burn off electicity to allow less to get to the light, so the dimmer you have it set for the hotter the swich will be.

They turn the lights on and off 60 times a second the lower the setting the longer they are turned off. I don't know witch setting would be hotter but I would check the lights and make sure you are well under 600 watts.

Yep. Also, I realized the same switch is in the bedroom. That doesn't get hot. Doesn't even get warm. I'm thinking the switch is bad, though i'll check the lights.

Latest posts

Back