sealer for shower stall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
hello all, can someone recommend a good sealer for a shower stall? thanks

Try Red Gard ... Excellent elastomeric sealer which is applied to the Hardie board. Creates water proof barrier to which you can tile.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5GIqcYkSs[/ame]

GOOD LUCK!

thanks, I was refering to grout sealing. already used redguard for the waterproofing membrane. thanks for the responses. I will take your recommendation Mr.callmevilla

OP,
If you can't locate the product recommended by CMV, you might try grout sealer from TileLab. I got it at HD and it seems to work fine.

How will ever know if the sealer works or not. When the tile job fails and has to be replaced, we always find that the leak started in a corner, inside or outside are the weakest part of the structure.
Houses move all the time do to wind small earthquakes, heavy trucks on the street, what ever the walls flex and will eventualy crack the grout at the corners so it is really the product on the wall behind the tile that really count and close inspection of the corners.

How will ever know if the sealer works or not. When the tile job fails and has to be replaced, we always find that the leak started in a corner, inside or outside are the weakest part of the structure.
Houses move all the time do to wind small earthquakes, heavy trucks on the street, what ever the walls flex and will eventualy crack the grout at the corners so it is really the product on the wall behind the tile that really count and close inspection of the corners.

I thought the grout sealer was simply to protect the top surface grout itself from stains and mold growth. I didn't think it was supposed to stop the grout from cracking.

I thought the grout sealer was simply to protect the top surface grout itself from stains and mold growth. I didn't think it was supposed to stop the grout from cracking.

No it will not protect it from cracking, it is claimed to seal it from being porous, there by perventing mold growth. But mold does not grow on concrete or grout it will grow on the dirt and scum there that may feed the mold. So back to my question. If we never find grout that leaks without cracks and the mold grows on the dirt not the grout, how will we know the sealer did anything.;)

Back