I need special flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
That's metal flashing, you perverts. I'm looking for a piece that I hope exists...metal flashing fashioned like a skirt to go around 4 x 4 redwood posts. This would seal off the post's base where it goes into a horizontal surface. I heard of one mentioned by a waterproof deck guy who said its top edge fit into a saw kerf cut around the post 2 inches up. Anyone know of such an item? or any kind of flashing like this? Thanks.

go to a metal fab shop and they will make you whatever you want.

Or, you could try and fab it yourself from coil stock. It may be easier to use the self stick rubber type with adhesive on one side. You can get it with aluminum on the other side. (Better protection from UV)

Taskboy,

I have not heard of this and have been doing this line of work for a long time, we always put post feet on the bottoms of our post that keep them off of the ground or concrete, which pre vents them from taking on any water, and like handyguys also said if you are still concerned about water then wrap bottom of post with a rubber membrane, ice and water shield work well.

Hope this is some help

Joe~~

Hi Joe, the post are off the ground on brackets. This area is 4 feet up as I have a stone column built around four 4x4s and there's a architectural foam cap over them. I want to waterproof the post at that foam cap if any water crept in past my caulk. It would be minimal water, if any, as the post/plywood box joints are covered in lath and scratch coat too. I was also considering FortiFlash, a flexible asphalt and poly film self adhesive product instead of the metal flashing. The mfr. of FF sid this is a good application for that product.

Back