Can bath water or water from a washing machine be used to water the lawn?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanalexander55

Reaction score
My daughter asked me why we waste our bath water and the water that is flushed down the drain from our washing machine? She wanted to know if there was a way we could recycle the water and use it to water our lawn or garden? She is learning about going green. Could this water be recycled and used again??

Yes. I have beening putting my washing machine water on my lawn for years. Not to be green but because i have an old septic. It's a wooded area were it comes out at but i have not noticed it killing anything. They do have a special laundry detergent that is garenteed not to kill your lawn or garden.

You can attach a 3 way valve on the water discharge from your washing machine. It will let you switch between the sewer and outside. Here is a video of how it works
http://centerlandscape.com/Landscape/convert-washing-machine-to-landscape-water/

In India, now there is a differentiation between "gray" water (washer, sinks, showers, etc.) and "black" water (sewage, toilets, etc.) and all newer apartments (which is a common source of living in cities), there are two parallel separate sewage drain systems that lead to separate sewer systems. The "black water goes to a sewage plant for treatment and use elsewhere and the gray water goes to plant with minor treatment and the water is used for irrigation.

The newer developments with single family homes in the scope of and industrial plant and development also have separate systems. The new developments are not wasting money because the large plants are built including housing and some stores and schools (above all) and are built before the plants are completed because the employees are actually involved in the construction and operation.

These are for plants that cover 40 to 100 acres and the first finished products are the walls, streets, stores and schools. - Kind of a conflict with the Indian morality, recognition of education and the respect of different religions.

Unfortunately, the old traditions inherited cannot be applied to the billions of people and housing that have developed the current standards. - It is hard to grasp unless you have been with people that understand the changes and the current educational and economic power of the country.

Dick

Google "gray water recycling" lot of info out there.

My main concern would be to not try it if you happen to live near a body of water, lake, stream, pond, river and the grade of your land would allow run off.

Back