bathroom odour

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevelygee

Reaction score
hey everyone, i'm having a weird smell in the bathroom and i can't figure it out- here's hoping someone smarter than me has some advice :).

basically, my bathroom has very recently started to smelly very musty. two things have changed that might be the cause. i recaulked the tub about a month ago, and the first round didn't take very well. we ended up with a bit (a few drops) of water getting under the tub and into the kitchen ceiling. i resealed it and we've seen no water since. secondly, a few days ago we had a clogged sink. my wife used some draino (or equivalent- can't remember the brand), and the clog is gone.

today though, the bathroom smells very musty, and i can't tell where it's coming from. i'd say i really pooched the caulking, but there's no visible dampness, and the one time there was we saw it right away. can the draino be the culprit, and perhaps the smell is material rotting in the drain? any help would be very much appreciated- i'm at my wits end with that bathroom :mad:.

thanks!

Since the drain should be protected by standing water, I suspect you have a leak somewhere under the tub/sink/toilet/flooring. It may be just enough to cause the musty smell but not big enough to see it. These can be hard to find so bring a good sniffer to locate it...

one item to check is the basin(sink). Sometimes the 'overflow' tube passage can contain a lot of gunk and crud,etc and can omit a very foul odor after a time.

thanks guys. forgive my ignorance- i'm very new to all of this- but what do you mean by 'sniffer'?

there is one other thing- i had some weeping tile installed in the basement recently. could that have any effect?

I use my favorite cat since I don't have a good sense of smell ... :)

we had a similar problem, it turned out to be a massive leak our toilet had before we owned the house, the previous owners did nothing about it and we ended up with a toilet that was BARELY supported, the whole floor around it was rotted out, but it was not visible until you ripped up the floor.

Back