Concrete around drain and heaving...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doechsli

Reaction score
I installed some drainage pipes in my backyard using six inch plastic pipe. The surface drains use the grates that just slip into the end of the pipe to allow the water to enter. To protect the pipe/drains from damage, I'd like to pour a small concrete pad around the pipe however I'm not sure if this is a bad idea. I thought about pouring an 18 inch square perhaps 3 inches thick but was curious if you think heaving will be a problem and any other tips that may make this work better. I'm not a concrete expert so I'm all ears......

It will likely only help keep some dirt out and maybe not even that. How is the soil around the pipe or is it in the lawn? If in the lawn I would just keep it how it is.

It is in a lawn but one of my concerns is the fact that lawn mowers etc.will run over these and I'm concerned over time will possibly break the pipe without some additional support around them.

I put in a couple hundred feet of French drainage with this drain pipe in the bottom and I used these boxes at the ends when I brought the pipe up to the surface. Somewhat a collection point and also access if I ever needed to get into the drain. I didn’t do anything except fill in around it with soil and gravel. The only problem I have had is the dirt washes away and leaves the box loose in the ground needing filled with stones. Once I back filled it a few times I have been driving over them with the riding lawn tractor and have no problems with winter lifting them out. I check them out in the spring each year and if they are sticking up any little bit the tire pushes them back in.
I think pouring around them would just give more surface area for a frost to push on. If you want to do that you would have to go deep below the frost line for your area.

Latest posts

Back