fitting a bib tap properly

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb2171

Reaction score
Hi

you would think this was easy............I have an outside water tap, its a bib tap fitted to a wall mounted elbow. I want the tap to line up vertically after screwing the tap onto the elbow. I have tried PTFE tape and washers of all different sizes and thicknesses and can't do it. I left it as is on a slant, but within a year, the screw down seating leaks so badly it is almost useless. I suppose these taps only seat properly if they are fitted correctly, shutting of the tap on a slant seems to have damaged it. This has happened to two taps that were brand new about a year ago. So how do I line it up vertically? If there was a coupling between I could understand how to do it but I was told I don't need one at the plumbers yard.

Regards

Cb2171

Hi CB,

Installing the tap at an angle will have very little to do with damaging the washer inside (at least in the short term here) so I don't think that is an issue here.

Lining the tap up properly, well, in most cases, if you increase the number of wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the tap then you shouldn't have to tighten the tap quite as much and you should be able to line up the tap vertically as needed.

Finally, if your bib tap is leaking after only a year of use I am going to figure that the tap is very old or the seat is damaged and tearing up the washers very quickly. In this case, I would simply recommend that you replace the entire bib tap and that really should resolve all the issues you presented.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thankc a lot, I thought as much. I fiddled with all three bib taps and all have the same problem. Must be a bad batch.

Cheers

Back