Unknown wall outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone seen an outlet like this? I have a friend that is buying a house built in the 70's and these are in many rooms, higher up on the walls. Thanks

I am guessing it is a copper plate in the middle. My only idea is that it could be some kind of custom light system that plugged into these sockets, but I have never seen anything like it before. It will be interesting to find out what they are. Thanks

Is the black part empty? Could be a vintage clock rec.

I've googled everything I can think of and can't find anything on this plug. What's in the hole?

Are there a pair in each room, directly across from each other? Possible room divider?

The suspense is killing me. Did you ever find out what it was?

If not, I see two flat-head screws. You could undo them and see whats back there... Take a photo if you do.

I vaguely remember seeing similar outlets in a 70's house I inspected in the midwest some years back. The owner told me it was for a motion-detection system he had previously installed, but later abandoned because it was always giving him false readings (and costing him money each time the cops came running, looking for bad guys that didn't exist).

Sorry, I haven't been on line lately. She has not had a chance to look any further, I think the sale might not go thru. Thank you very much for the help though. I guess I may never know.

if its high up on the wall and has a hook...its an outlet for a clock

Back