problem with column footing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmm9

Reaction score
hello everyone...i just bought a 60 y/o cape that i have had a hell of a time updating. my money pit had a tripled up 2x8 for main beam with only 2 columns to span 30ft. so i sistered that with tripled up 9 1/2" microlams and chopped 3 new footings for lally columns with 7ft. spans. the problem is the middle footing...which butts up against the footer for the chimney. now the column is not centered on its footer which is now 16"x24"x18"deep compared to the other 2 which are 30"x30"x18"deep. also, since the main beam had sagged considerably i had to jack that level just to slide the microlams in place, which then pushed up the beam in the 1st floor, and via the knee braces in the rafters put pressure on the rafters and broke some of the tongue and groove roof sheathing (didn't see that coming from the basement). anyway...anybody have any thoughts on the center footer issue and suggestions to make sure i dont have a pile of broken slate in the kitchen a year from now?

Welcome to the Forum BMM:
It may be possible to repalce the center footer with a new one on each side of it.
They are massive footers that give the weight a lot of distribution on the ground. Do the footers have any steel in them? If not, you already have problems; in an 18" thick footer there should be two seperate re-bar mats. Place the mats 4" from the bottom and 4" from the top each being made of #5 bars on 1' centers both ways.
What a challenge you have there! I wish you the very best with it.
Glenn

thanks for the input glenn. ironically, replacing the column with one on either side is the solution i've come up with, and i do have rebar propped about 4" from bottom on cradles before i placed the concrete. thanks again, and hopefully no problems

Back