newbie here

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbyandme

Reaction score
Hello:
Hubby and I were talking about our 2 bathrooms and whether or not we could update them. He's REALLY handy - plumbing, electrical, etc. We've finished two basements and we're still married!

Our house is about 25 years old and both bathrooms are clean but dated. One has a tub/shower, tiled with 6" x 6" tiles on the walls and ceiling of the tub area as well as going out and half-way up the 3 walls around the toilet. The other bathroom has a shower stall with the same 6" x 6" tiles and 1" x 1" tiles on the floor of the shower. No problem for us to do new cabinets (sinks and taps are fine) but how easy is it to put in one of those 'bathfitter' units? The tub is actually OK - it's the tiles we would like to cover. We live in the country and have hard water softened with a water softener (hence, calcium, lime, salt and a bit of mildew). We would really like to avoid taking out all that tile (we did it in the first house and it wasn't fun :( ) and simply put the new unit in over it. I know we would have to kill the mildew before covering it but ... is it something we should even consider doing ourselves?

Has anyone done this?

yes rebath is far better than bathfitter. go to complaints.com and read about bathfitter. cracking in the corners. rebath has the largest selection of colors and styles. the complaint on here about rebath is a very rare complaint. there must be more to the story. rebath LLC always makes sure things are right.

kv

rebath is not better it has a better design and format but bows and comes undone, i hope you have not purchased there product i use to be a manager for them. let me tell you if you have any questions feel free to email me.

I dont recommend going over anything with anything being a professional. I can however recommend a faster method of removal.

Just yesterday I took out a "saws all" with a new wood blade and cut out the corner seems on a tile tub from 1960. In three minutes I made the corner cuts. Over the next 20 minutes my wife and I removed sections of the tiled tub. Some of the peices were 2'X4' or larger and very heavy. Once you get a cut around the tile with the saws all then hit a starting point in the tile with a hammer. Hand pull the tile sections out from there.
IN SIMPLE YOU MUST REMOVE THE TILE. You will feel better about it after you go thruough the hell. You can live with yourself.

NOTE: TILE is dangerous. Wear your safety glasses as the tiny peices can fly up in your face when you bang tile with a hammer. This is not a request its an order!

You must bust through the tile and the underlayment to get a grip. The underlayment most times is tile, mortar, then mesh wire with 1960s mortar in it. Hats off to the sixties they even put a layer of tar paper after that to make it efficient. Head bow for the overwork.....

You may get lucky and only find your tile with a sheetrock base behind it. I bow to you if that happens.......

Back