Electric riding mower recommendations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelique

Reaction score
We're on an acre, so a riding mower is essential! Important features are a good mulching option and options for edging. Any suggestions for an electric riding mower that would fit the bill? We are not deciding based on price.

Are you looking for an Electric riding lawn mower. or electric start gas riding mower

Do you have a Club Cadet? Which one? We are very flat here, although the person who currently cuts our lawn (he is being replaced by the mower) was just complaining that our berms are now too large for him to ride over. I'm not sure it's worth choosing a mower just because of berm-climbing!
Nah, a push 22" gas mower and so flat I have drainage problems.

Sounds like your berm cross-section profile will limit your choice of what mower may work for it. You need new search terms for that one.

Last edited:
If you are talking about gas powered with electric start there are a lot of good machines on the market and for a flat one acre something with about a 42 inch cut would be what I would want. I like the hydrostatic drives and I would avoid the very cheap little lawn tractors. I also feel that some of the big names are overpriced and you may be paying for the paint color. I have a cub cadet and I feel it is a good mixture of quality for the price even though a few years ago they were bought up by a company that builds the lower end stuff. I feel they are still a dependable mower and if kept clean and maintained mowing one acre will last as long as you will ever need it.

Sounds like your berm cross-section profile will limit your choice...

I think I wasn't clear when I wrote that! He just didn't want to ride all the way around to our big RV gate to get to the back lawn. If you access the back yard from the driveway, there are berms that keep the irrigation water away from the house. If you go in the back gate, you can zip around the lawn all you please.

You have that much grass in Phoenix??? Is it imported?

ROFL! No, we're on former farm property that's irrigated. It's easy to grow bermuda grass on that, as long as you don't mind the inevitable weeds brought by the irrigation water. It's the people who like midwestern-type green "winter lawns" who cause themselves suffering in the form of effort and high water bills. But usually people only create small patches of "winter lawn."

OK, so the flatter your property, the larger the mower blades and the lower cutting height you can use.

For a benchmark, what mower did your guy use, what cutting height and how long did your acre take him?

Last edited:
Over the years quite a few companies ventured into electric mowers and this cub cadet seems well built and about the right size for your needs. Always in the past battery replacement was the big problem and the question I would be asking the people selling them. Cost and life? GE built one 30 years ago that used a bunch of car batteries and people were only getting 2 or 3 years out of a set and it was big bucks to change them out plus the environmental issue of both making and disposing of batteries a gas unit was actually as green if not greener. With one acre and a one hour charge and a 42 inch deck you should be ok depending on how many things you trim around. If you get one please post back with your comments on how you like it.

I have been eying these up for a while. A robotic lawnmower. It cuts the grass for you. It actually has a docking station and it charges itself and some can be controlled by your smart phone. Most you bury a wire around your property. Prices about the same as a riding lawnmower.

780462fb.png

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-mowers/husqvarna-robotic-mowers-for-homeowners/

I have been eying these up for a while. A robotic lawnmower. It cuts the grass for you. It actually has a docking station and it charges itself and some can be controlled by your smart phone. Most you bury a wire around your property. Prices about the same as a riding lawnmower.

780462fb.png

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-mowers/husqvarna-robotic-mowers-for-homeowners/
And with its small size it can handle uneven ground.
And you have better things to do than mowing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

But the energy/battery-capacity it takes to cut 1" off grass on one acre of flat ground remains more or less the same.

Does that little bat mobile cut the grass or use that laser in the front to zap it down?

:eek:

Some actually have an anti theft system. Something to do with a pin number. But If some one steals it and can't use it I doubt they will return it. You still need docking station and I don't think there is much of a black market demand for robotic lawnmowers.

Back