Feed to Separate Building

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handy

Reaction score
I'm sure this can't be right, but I've discovered that the feed to my detached garage comes from a 220v 50amp breaker in the main panel in the house. The current is carried by a 10-3 NM cable across the 33 feet to the garage and terminates at an old fuse box in the garage. This box contains 3 of those tubular black fuses and the entire garage is fed directly from this box.

Am I off the mark or is the 10-3 wiring woefully inadequate to carry anything near 50 amps? In other words, wouldn't the wiring fail before the breaker would ever trip? I haven't had any problems of any kind to date, but I'd like to avoid them in the future as well. I'm thinking that an upgrade of feed wiring, a breaker box install, and some garage interior re-wiring is in order.

Any thoughts appreciated!

30 amp breakers tied together would be the most you would want, the fuses in the garage should be 15 amp. or less, I think.

Yes, 10 AWG is incorrect wire size for a 50-amp breaker. Either increase the wire size or decrease the breaker size.

Latest posts

Back