rust bleeding through paint from nail heads

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buff with steelwool, auto primer, paint.

Has anyone tried nail head gone drill bit?

You can do that but if you remove the head the nail will have no holding power.
A small pointed grinder in a dremal or drill will remove the rust and then prime the steel before painting.

Good thought, I could just use the nail head gone drill bit and then run a stainless screw or nail in next to the removed nail head......I would be concerned that the rusted nail head is also rusted underneath. Thanks for your comments.

Good thought, I could just use the nail head gone drill bit and then run a stainless screw or nail in next to the removed nail head......I would be concerned that the rusted nail head is also rusted underneath. Thanks for your comments.

Depends on the nail, if it was galvanized. Often the coating on the head gets damaged and air and water can get to the nail.

If you drill the dead off you will have steel exposed but if you seal it to keep air away from that steel it won't rust.
If the nail is not treated you could use a punch and drive it down, if that doesn't cause a problem on the other side where they might pop out.

The key is to seal it or get it out of open air.

Latest posts

Back