Finishing My Basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondadrv24

Reaction score
The Time has come to finish my basement. My wife went and got the permit yesterday and we are going to start framing tomorrow or Saturday. Today I was hoping to cut out the new egress windows under the old ones, but it is pouring outside, so its a good day to do a little more planning. Here are a few pics of what I'm starting with
IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

We plan on making a bedroom, a bathroom, playroom that's connected to the main family room and the utility room. I'll update with progress as it happens!!

Wow , what an empty room.:D
Get ready for all the advice....it's on it's way.;)

Its great you already have plumbing under the slab for your bathroom. Hopefully its in the correct spot. What are your ceiling plans? Drop or drywall? Looks like you have a lot of ABS pipe and wires in the way.

My piece of advice - Move as much stuff into the joists now as possible. Depending on your layout you may also want to consider moving the water heater as well. Good luck, take pictures of your progress ans feel free to askk questions as you go.

The Handyguys are kicking around doing a multi-part podcast series on finishing a basement. Do you think there would be much interest in such an endeavor?

I have a few suggestions, just off the top of my head.

Add as many windows as you can. That will help avoid the "dungeon" feel.

Also, move as much as you can -- plumbing that comes below joists, water heater (you might want to switch to a tankless one)

If it was me, I would also beef up the joists under critical weight spots. (i.e. Under the 1st floor bathtub) - It's just alot easier now.

Yes, the plumbing is in the right spot, for the most part, the shower drain is a little close to the toilet, but I think it is far enough away to put a 30" door between the two. As for the sink, I plan to cut the existing tee out and turn it the other direction, run the drain pipe through the wall behind the toilet and along the concrete wall toward the back wall (one with water supply). The shower is going to be an over-sized walk in and the bathroom is going to be a pass through into the bedroom back by the water supply. all the plumbing at the ceiling height is going to stay as is and I plan on replacing the water heater at a later time, for now I plan to make a small utility closet to hide the water heater and the furnace.

I plan on dropping the ceiling to 8' by running 2x4 perpendicular to the floor joists on 24" centers, so that it looks like it is done right.

approximate room sizes are:
family room ( by stairs) 24x24
bathroom 10x8'6"
bedroom 9'x12' one 29x47" window
utility room 7x7
daughter's play room (back behind the water heater toward the panel box) 9x12 two 29x47" windows

I got half the lumber today, and dad is coming tomorrow to help me frame.

1 cent...panel box cannot be in a closet.
1 more cent..the furnace will need a makup are opening.

=== 2 cents.:)

One little note. Do not call it a utility closet, call it a utility or mechanical room.

1 cent...panel box cannot be in a closet.
1 more cent..the furnace will need a makup are opening.

=== 2 cents.:)

panel box will just be in the room, no closet in that room

do you mean by furnace makup???

I plan on leaving about 1' around the suction trunk and the back side of the furnace and about 4" to the studs from the other side of the water heater.

Hello HondaDrv:
The existing basement walls appear to be poured concrete with a brick pattern in the concrete. I really like the brick look and would recommend simply painting those walls. You could go really wild and paint the mortar joints white and the brick some natural brick color, like red or sand.
You might also look into suspended ceiling tile; they have some very pretty patterns now, even tin ceilings. That way you would have access if you need it later.
Glenn

The furnace will need some air to operate the burner, gas or oil. You will need a door with slats or a vent on a wall into a room with over 100 sq feet.
The furnace should also not be installed with access to the bedroom.

Your building inspector will point this all out in your plan. Talk to them, they know more about your area than I do.

Enjoy.:)

basement.jpg

Here is an approximate floor plan of what I am doing. the bedroom will be accessed by passing through the bathroom and the playroom will be the other room that isn't really closed off from the main.

3 suggestions,
1- insulate the furnace room with Roxual Safe and Sound
2- use 5/8" fire guard drywall on one or both sides of the furnace room.
3- Use pocket doors where you can to save space or have at least one of the doors open out. I have been in Bathrooms with in swing doors and haven't liked it much, they just take up to much room.

Meant to get these pictures up, but just didn't get around to doing it earlier in the week. Here is what dad and I got done last weekend. Really wish I had the windows cut out so that I could have gotten a whole wall done and have all that extra light that its going to produce. I've been working after work a little bit, but playing with my daughter is more fun at the moment.
basement005.jpg

basement004.jpg

basement001.jpg

I didnt do anything this weekend because it was so nice that I needed to get my apple tree pruned and do some other yard work. I fear mowing is not far off anymore. Hopefully next weekend I can cut the windows out, which will allow for all the walls to be put up.

Funny how spring jumps out at you all of a sudden.:D

Looks good, keep gettin outdoors, the heat will be here soon.:D

It's been nice out this week, so I've been playing out there. I picked up 15 compost bags of pine cones and needles from my yard and mowed. And more importantly I played with my beautiful daughter.
IMG_1855.jpg

I did manage to get the last wall for the bathroom put up, still have to build the closet and we need to figure out exactly how we are doing the shower.
basement008.jpg

My dad said he'll probably come sunday and maybe monday to help cut out the windows, which would really make it easier to finish the framing, so hopefully more pictures this weekend with lots more progress.

Outside is more fun anyway.
Just a thought, have you checked your basement for radon? If not , do a test, it will be easier to install a mitigation system now.
Where is that radon guy....:D

Either a testing company can come in for a hundred bucks with a continuous monitor and educate you about it...or you can get a kit yourself from the local dept of health, hardware store and big box store.
I own some machines called femto-techs. I consider them the best for my use. They continuously read the radon levels in the home at that time period.
Get the pro in to do it is my suggestion. But if you do not, make sure the house is closed up like it was a cold winter outside during the test. And no testing during any storms, so check the weather or leave it to test longer. This is where it gets tricky.
I went to radon training and had to take a test, that's why I say use the professional. There is so much more going on.

Where is that radon guy??:D

Try www.epa.govand go to radon

Latest posts

Back