Are rechargeable batteries proprietary?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesefood

Ask me bout homebrewtalk.
Reaction score
The batteries for my Craftsman tools seem to be losing their power and not holding a charge. Do I need to buy new Craftsman brand batteries or is there a cheaper generic that I can use?

Its the nature of the beast for certain types of rechargeable battery technology. There is no generic replacement i have ever seen.

Your options...
1) Replace with new craftsman batteries (if you can get them still)
2) Rebuild the batteries (Here is one company http://www.primecell.com/ )
3) Replace the tool (The newest technology in rechargeable is LithiumIon. These will last a lot longer)

Even though Li-ion has advantages in size and weight. it is more sensitive to abuse- heavy loads, hot recharge, and the like. so it may not be the best choice for tools. even though Ni-Cd is old tech it is more robust in a tool application.
I vote for sending them out for a rebuild, most places that do it put in top quality cells that hold more juice and perform better.

Even though Li-ion has advantages in size and weight. it is more sensitive to abuse- heavy loads, hot recharge, and the like. so it may not be the best choice for tools. even though Ni-Cd is old tech it is more robust in a tool application.
I vote for sending them out for a rebuild, most places that do it put in top quality cells that hold more juice and perform better.

Rebuilding can be a good option, I have had it done myself. But I need to take exception with the statement "it may not be the best choice for tools" regarding LiIon. I have owned and used very heavily battery tools since about 1990. Ni-cd, NMh and LIon. Li-ion is by far the best performer.

As for "hot recharge" - The chargers have a thermostat built in and also a cooling fan so to prevent charging while hot. And as far as "heavy load" - I have no idea about that - my newest LiIon tools are the heavyist duty cordless I have ever owned and outperform any other battery tool, under heavy load, I have ever owned.

That said - The battery tools do not compare performance wise to a similar corded tool. The proved the case in several tests I did with drills and reciprocating saws (comparing cordless with corded).

Have a nice day.

Back