Bubbling and falling wall texture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thayerk

Reaction score
I have removed 15 year old wallpaper out of my mother in law's kitchen. We used a chemical to remove the paper and upon removing the paper we discovered that the wall had not been properly mudded or primed prior to the wallpaper's application leading to the wall being damaged. We repaired the wall and applied drywall mud. Now the issue is when applying wall texture the texture is bubbling and falling off. Any suggestions? I am luckily still my mother in law's favorite daughter in law but that is because I am the only one.

What kind of chemical did you use to remove the wallpaper?

Also, has this area been wet from a roof or plumbing leak? How thick was the drywall mud you applied to the wall?

OH, and welcome to House Repair Talk! Ain't it great being the favorite in-law?

We used Piranha wallpaper remover (mixed from concentrate) and wiped down the walls with a damp sponge after the wallpaper was removed to remove chemicals. There are no roof or plumbing leaks and I will have to check and see how thick the mud was applied as my father in law did that step.

Thank you for the replies

I have done a lot of this kind of work. I would say your main problem is probably glue left over from the wall paper although I cant be 100% certain. How I prevent this from happening is skimming the entire wall with durabond. I can't say it enough, but durabond is a life saver in most situations and is a far superior compound then the rest. Skimming an entire wall or house can be time consuming, messy, and just a pain.... but in most cases it is what ensures the best finish. If you skim the wall and it bubbles, just poke at the bubble and knock it out of the wall and skim back over it. You may have to do it several times. But I can tell you with 100% certainty, if your texture isn't sticking it is because there is nothing for the compound to adhear to, or the water in the compound is messing with whatever is left behind from the wallpaper.

Last edited:
Back