chipmunks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of chipmunks? products used that work or didn't work. thanks

I think a small rat cage would do the trick. They're about the same size. Once they go in, they can't get out. It doesn't harm them. You have to release them once caught though.

Or, if you're looking to exterminate, Rat Sticky traps work wonderfully. Also, Rat bait boxes.

If you aren't afraid of the chipmunks feelings: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsuL4-g52tY]Chipmunk swimming pool of death (aka Chipper Dipper) - YouTube[/ame] Skip to 4:24 to see the trap.

If you are a bit compassionate, I've found the same method works, only with a large barrel, something like a 40 gallon trash barrel, but a bit smaller, about 36" tall. If you set up a 2X4 leading to the barrel, at a very gradual slope and bait the bottom of the barrel, they will end up in the bottom and not be able to get out. Then you haul them away. You have to go at least 10 miles to be sure the bastards won't come back. I've tried the small animal traps, but they seem to be able to squeeze through the doors. I've caught 3 with this method. They are very curious creatures, so you can use that to your advantage. I used apples and peanut butter to bait my trap. Good luck!

I've used what is know as a Chipper Dipper, and it works great. Fill a five gallon bucket halfway with water, then cover the surface of the water with sunflower seeds. Use a scrap of wood to act as a ramp from the ground up to the top of the bucket, placing a few sunflower seeds to entice the chipmunks up the ramp. Seeing all those seeds in the "pool" eventually they will fall in and drown.

Heck, just learn to live with the little buggers. We had them trained to eat peanuts out of our hands at one house we lived in a few years back. But the wife did get tired of them wandering into the house whenever they felt like it--they'd scoot through an open entry door, then sit up on the kitchen floor and beg for their peanuts. We even had names for all of them.

Back