What kinda steps are these and how to fill gaps ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kulkarnipb

Reaction score
I am not sure what kind of bricks are these ( see attachments), which are part of my backyard steps.

I used concrete filler caulk but it is looking very weird . Ants made home in the gaps and I really want to fill these gaps asap.
Can someone please help me - what shall I use to fill gaps properly without having ugly look.

Thanks in advance.

20160601_194556.jpg

20160601_194552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would fill the gaps with a polymeric sand, like Gator Dust. Your steps seem to be made of retaining wall blocks. It was somewhat common a few years ago.

You may have a bigger issue there other than ants. Looking at the 2nd photo it looks like the siding is cut, exposing the wall sheathing to the weather. It also looks like the same behind the steps. Any rain water getting in will cause rot.
If that's the case, I would tear out the steps and fix the siding first thing.

You need to first find out how much damage, if any, there is to the structure. Either from inside the house, if possible, or by removing the steps so you can check for damage to repair before any flashing can be added.

The steps also never should have been installed that close to the threshold, that's a sure way to get water under the threshold.
It would be interesting to see if they even water proofed the wall behind the steps, or flashed the door correctly.
Missing those building 101 steps can cost you dearly.
Post a picture of the siding on the right hand side of the steps please.
I can see the siding was cut wrong, missing a piece of J molding, but it also looks like the piece that should be running down the side of the steps is missing.

The steps also never should have been installed that close to the threshold, that's a sure way to get water under the threshold.
It would be interesting to see if they even water proofed the wall behind the steps, or flashed the door correctly.
Missing those building 101 steps can cost you dearly.
Post a picture of the siding on the right hand side of the steps please.
I can see the siding was cut wrong, missing a piece of J molding, but it also looks like the piece that should be running down the side of the steps is missing.
Thanks for the information. Attached are the pictures. Can you please take a look and help me to fix it.View attachment 11860View attachment 11861

Attachments

• kulk01.jpg
    kulk01.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 145
  • kulk02.jpg
    kulk02.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
Vinyl siding is not waterproof and the way they did this is a bit ugly, the real question is the house wrap or tar paper behind the steps and how well it handles water away from the house.
The excepted method would have been to add galvanized sheet steel up under the siding and the door flange and to add J trim to the sides where the siding was cut to give it a finished look.

That's about what I expected to see.
Done totally wrong.
There should have sided the house then built the steps so there's 0 chance of wall damage.
I'm 99.9% sure if you removed those steps your going to find something funky to have to deal with on the wall.

That's about what I expected to see.
Done totally wrong.
There should have sided the house then built the steps so there's 0 chance of wall damage.
I'm 99.9% sure if you removed those steps your going to find something funky to have to deal with on the wall.
Thanks. It was done by previous owner. Not sure he did by himself or through a contractor. Anyhow let me get it fixed now. Good that it is summer and have time to correct before snow.

I am going to start on the project to remove existing block steps and after siding, install new steps.
Any suggestion - what material shall I use so there will be minimal issues from water and ants in the future and it will give nice look ?
Other then siding, is there anything I should take care of before installing new steps ?

Last edited:
Try not to think of this as two separate projects....even if you do them at separate times or hire separate people (or DIY). How you repair the wall may be dictated by the type of steps you choose.

Since winter is over now ( I live in NJ, USA), today I started ripping off the steps. I am going to replace concrete block steps with wooden steps.

Thanks everyone for giving me feedback earlier for the concrete steps.

Looking at the current condition ( please see attached pictures) , I am getting feeling that there is certain damage due to improper steps installation by previous owner , though it is not as bad as I imagined. However need opinion from all expertise.
Please let me know if vinyl water/ice resistant tape along with a siding and a wood ledger will be enough to cover the damage. Do I have to do anything else. Any guidance will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Remove the bottom three pieces of siding on both sides, bend that trim up and take some more pictures of what you have.
Try not to spoil all the tar paper that is there.
You may want to remove the door and do a better install now that you are this close. Depending on what you find.

You will have to check to see how soft the wood is, and you need to dry it out before anything else. You need to check the area for insect damage too. After you remove any soft wood, you will know if anything needs to be replaced. Perhaps not. It may be repairable with an epoxy wood filler, then covered with flashing.

You will have to check to see how soft the wood is, and you need to dry it out before anything else. You need to check the area for insect damage too. After you remove any soft wood, you will know if anything needs to be replaced. Perhaps not. It may be repairable with an epoxy wood filler, then covered with flashing.

It looks like they covered the rim with OSB, if the damage is just to the OSB, might be lucky.

It looks like they covered the rim with OSB, if the damage is just to the OSB, might be lucky.
Thanks for reply. I will upload more images tonight but yes - below wood seems in good shape and only osb was rotten. I removed bad osb by a flat head screw driver to expose wood to take pictures.

Back