Painting Densarmor Frywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
I am finishing up with my drywall in my remodeled basement. I used densarmor drywall and have noticed that it a different texture to it than the normal paper drywall. It has a fiberglass mesh type texture to it. Well except for the areas where I have mudded the seems and screws. When I primer it will I be able to tell the difference? Meaning will the mesh texture show through? Wondering if I should spread a very thin layer of mud over the entire wall to help fill in the mesh. It is really fine so I may be concerned over nothing, but thought better to ask.

Thanks

Best thing is to try it. Prime and paint a small area to see how it'll turn out. My guess is, you'll want to do a light skim-coat over everything to really hide the already-mudded seams.

Thanks Quattro. Best way to know is to try it out since there are so many elements that could go into it. Should have known.

Should have known.

And now you will:), please tell the rest of us how it works out.
My experience is they always do a skim coat, but that could just be the picky sheetrockers I use. They want to be done and get the check.;)

Yes its going to show but how much is yet to be determined and how picky you want it is a factor to. I would skim coat

I will followup when doen. I have some scrap laying around that I may play with before touching my new walls. I have been working on and off on remodeling my basement for about a year now and would hate to have wasted all of that elbow grease.

Just following up as promised. After testing a few areas I have decided to spend a little more time and skim coat the entire basement. If not you are left with really smooth areas where you mud the screw holes and joints, and rougher areas where you do not skim coat. To make sure I get a good smooth even texture on my walls it is necessary in my opinion to skim coat. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Back