tile questions....

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody99

Reaction score
Greetings;

My Wife and I are in the process of remodeling a small bathroom, and I have a couple of questions for anyone with tile experience.

The current bathroom has bead-board on the lower 3.5 ft of wall and paint above. We will be removing the bead-board, and expect to have to replace the lower portion of the Sheetrock, as well. The Idea my lovely wife has come up with is this: She would like to put a tile accent strip around the bathroom, such that the tile is flush with the wall board.

I thought about using a strip of Plywood to back the tile, but am afraid it would not be solid enough to support the tile, without flexing which will cause grout problems....

Any good ideas on how we might do this???

Thanks for your time

Woody

So the face of the tile will be even with the face of the wallboard?
Well first, how thick will the wallboard be? And how thick is the tile? I'm sure you can find a rigid material to support the tile. Wonderboard or some other waterproof tile backer sounds like the right stuff. You could probably notch the studs slightly to recess the tile if necessary.
I would be more concerned about the transition from one to the other. Not sure if grout will adhere and seal well with drywall. you should prob have a chat with a tile salesman to see if there is a piece to transition, like a bullnose or something.

Yup, drywall with 1/2" drywall and tile your boarder and the add 1/4" drywall above and below the boarder, the problem will be how to deal with the edge of the drywall as you will be working with a cout edge of drywall to grout against, unless you do the wallboard first and do some fancy taping and filling and then tile.

Yeah, that looks like it's a single option solution - 2" tile and metal border. Go to a tile store and ask around. You aren't committed to anything just for asking.

Latest posts

Back