Would appreciate help with lever handle

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpedsea

Reaction score
I am doing my first plumbing job, and hope there is a simple solution for my problem. My American Standard faucet set had a leaky hot water handle, so I disassembled it, replaced the cartridge, and now cannot get the handle to align properly. It should move in an 8:00 to 4:00 arc, and instead moves from 11:00 to 7:00. I have tried removing the cartridge and screwing it in from a different starting point; it always ends up back in the same place. I think I need to take the handle apart, detaching the "wrist blade handle" from the "skirt/adapter," but these 2 pieces do NOT want to come apart. The skirt piece needs to go on the cartridge first, and then I could add and align the handle. The forum won't let me post a link, but the handles can be found under "Heritage Handle kits" on the American Standard site.
Thanks! I greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Do you know the model number of this faucet?

this is one of those situations where a noob being able to post a link or pic would be oh so valuable....:confused:

The model of the handle is 0000.372H, which is a color/finish variation on model 0000.172H. Thanks!

Unfortuately, my faucet set is about 15 years old, and doesn't follow the modern specs. (I hate that website too.) I had to remove the stop washer altogether as my old set didn't have one in order for the handle skirt to fit. There is therefore about 1/3 of the hexagonal area on the cartridge that is open, and a piece inside the skirt fits within that slot to allow movement of the handle. Unfortunately, the handle now lines up to the left instead of to the front of the sink. According to my original handle diagram, the skirt and the handle piece should be detachable and I can then align the handle at the end of the installation on the skirt piece. I cannot detach them, and so I can't line up the handle properly.
I really appreciate the time you've put into this, and welcome any suggestions.

Good idea! I have several questions for other threads, so will take pictures of my components in the meantime.

Many of the older handles were for cold or hot use only. You could not use one in place of the other. This may be your problem. Usually, with cartridges, the problem is installing them 180 degrees out of alignment.

Many thanks for all the advice! I returned to my plumbing supplier today, and received wonderful assistance from the gentleman who had sold me the cartridge yesterday. It turns out that my handle components had some manufacturing differences which required the jettisoning of the stop washer, and the handle pieces had corroded over time so that they could not be pulled apart with the tools I had handy. After some heavy duty effort, he managed to separate the skirt/adapter from the handle, and I was able to install the skirt/adapter and then place the handle so that it circumscribed the proper arc. I then used the screw provided to connect to the cartridge.

Done! I really appreciate your efforts in guiding me through this.

Back