Oil heater tripping/banging

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msupsic

Marc S.
Reaction score
I have a relatively new oil furnace, probably about 10 years old. The burner unit is a Beckett. Four years ago, I had the tank and lines replaced.

As of late, I've noticed a banging noise, similar to someone beating on a metal drum. It seems to be related to the blower fan.

I was listening to it in bed the other night: The thermostats trips on, the burner ignites, the fan runs for a few seconds, then "BANG." The fan shuts off. The fan tries again and "BANG," shuts down. This goes on for several times in a row.

I went down into the basement, removed the cover to the fan assembly and turned the heater on to watch it with my own two eyes. No noise. The fan runs just fine (at least while I'm watching it :rolleyes:).

Anyone have any idea what gives?

Last edited:
Time to call the service man.
My guess would be a dirty oriface in the jet, or electrodes need cleaning or adjusting causing the banging and when there's no flame the fan shuts off.

Last edited:
Yeah could be number of things, lack of oil if any at all.
Check your tiger loop, oil filter but better to call some one though your igniter could be faulty this could start to billow smoke in your home and you don't want that.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Thanks, good to know when you're in over your head. I'll call the pros.

Msupsic said:
Thanks, good to know when you're in over your head. I'll call the pros.

Np yeah it's not really the time of year to be out your oil heater... Get a quote 1st have the technician tell you exactly what the problem is get the price he most likely will tell you exactly why it's back firing with out taking the hole unit body out some company's will kill you in cost if you make it seam like you have not a clue about it.

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Usually what I do is get them to look it over and give me diagnosis. If it's something I can handle myself, I'll order the parts and fix it. If their price is reasonable, I just pay them to do it. You have to decide when it's worth your time and frustration or better to just call in the experts and suck it up.

Thanks everyone.

Msupsic said:
Usually what I do is get them to look it over and give me diagnosis. If it's something I can handle myself, I'll order the parts and fix it. If their price is reasonable, I just pay them to do it. You have to decide when it's worth your time and frustration or better to just call in the experts and suck it up.

Thanks everyone.

Good luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone iOS5

Latest posts

Back