Replacing kitchen floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawner

Reaction score
Found a stain in the ceiling sheetrock downstairs, checked the dishwasher and the pump is leaking (for long enough to form a skunge stalactite off the pump). Pulled it out and pulled up the existing linoleum floor to where the water made it to and let it dry the last 3 days while we've been out of town.

twnn.jpg

At this point, we're thinking laminate floor that has a tile pattern on it. We've had some down in the foyer for the past 3 years and it's stood up fairly well. Unfortunately, it's 3.27/sq ft and I'm cheap :(

Couple questions....

- you can see the old paper glue/backing under the linoleum... if I go with laminate, will I need to pull that up so it's all the same level as where I've scraped to subfloor? Or will the underlay take up any differences between the two?

- any other flooring ideas? Wife doesn't want anything that is/looks like wood in there, wouldn't really match with what we've got upstairs/cabinets/wood paneling, etc.
Have tiled before would prefer to have something warmer/more forgiving in there.

At first I thought these were stick on tiles, but I see this is linoleum. I think you might have a difficult time making this look half way decent with all the corners you have. Perhaps remove enough linoleum to make only a few corners.

Last edited:
At first I thought these were stick on tiles, but I see this is linoleum. I think you might have a difficult time making this look half way decent with all the corners you have. Perhaps remove enough linoleum to make only a few corners.
I think the question was, when he rips up the rest of the lino will he have to worry about the paper or should he scrape it up too.

Yeah, neal's got it, going to rip the whole thing up, just wondering if the paper has to come up to.

Now starting to think about going back to linoleum and having someone come in and lay it... not too sure about laminate in the kitchen

Back