Ductless AC system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadathepanda

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking to get a five zone ductless system installed and the quotes I'm getting are insane ($17-$19k including equipment and installation). I'm located in NJ, are these reasonable, I think not since the equipment alone is around $5k, instalation cannot be $12 k or more. If anyone has any experience with these type of systems, please let me know how much it cost you.

Thanks!

First of all, I think a 5 zone system is why this is costing you so much. Get a few dual zones and a single zone, and save lots of headaches. Search Blue Ridge Mini splits. Check out the prices, then find a local A/C guy and a handyman to help install everything. That should save you thousands!

First of all, I think a 5 zone system is why this is costing you so much. Get a few dual zones and a single zone, and save lots of headaches. Search Blue Ridge Mini splits. Check out the prices, then find a local A/C guy and a handyman to help install everything. That should save you thousands!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Why would you say a few double zones are cheaper? Installation cost would be the same, right?

It looks like there are too many variables for one of us to pass judgement on the price.
Here's a clip from an article on the subject:
The primary disadvantage of mini splits is their cost. Such systems cost about $1,500 to $2,000 per ton (12,000 Btu per hour) of cooling capacity. This is about 30% more than central systems (not including ductwork) and may cost twice as much as window units of similar capacity.

The installer must also correctly size each indoor unit and judge the best location for its installation. Oversized or incorrectly located air-handlers often result in short-cycling, which wastes energy and does not provide proper temperature or humidity control. Too large a system is also more expensive to buy and operate.

and here's the article I took it from: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners.

I think Havasu's point is that there may be cheaper ways of doing this rather than an all-in-one unit. Shorter conduit runs, and smaller units may add up differently.

Last edited:
Multi zone systems increase in price exponentially. Dual zones are fairly cheap. Beyond that and you may as well get a conventional A/C system.

20151111_090347_resized.jpg

The newer mini splits can be very economical, with many having up to 28 SEER's. Most newer central systems are currently hovering around 18 SEER's. I myself want to add a mini split for my bedroom so I don't have to heat or cool my entire house when I am confined in the master bedroom for the evening.

Thanks all for the replies. A five zone ductless is about $5000 which I find acceptable. It's the labor cost that is ridiculous and the same high cost would apply to a conventional system (which has more disadvantages : ducts are impossible to instal in my house, I would have to cool the entire house)

Back