Rusty Nail Heads Bleeding Thru

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
I built a small deck and when I nailed down the deck boards I used hot-dipped, galvanized, spiral shank nails. Shortly after that, the nail heads started bleeding rust around the nail/nail holes and turning the area orange/brown. :mad:
I'm about to repaint this deck and was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the rust from bleeding back thru.
The first painting, I used Kilz primer and exterior latex paint.

The new pressure treated wood has to have ACQ approved fastners. You should have used Ceramic coated deck screws or Stainless steel screws. Galvinized will rust off inside the wood in just a few years and snap off.
Pressure treated wood should never be painted unless your a fan of sanding and painting every year. Use soild color stain instead, it can be tinted any color that paint can be tinted.
If there's any mold on the deck it must be killed first.

Thanks for the tips but, how do I correct the problem now ?
The paint is still intact after 2 years of application and the nails seem to be holding fine.
I'm repainting it because I'm going with a different color.
I know tinted stain is useless on a painted surface.

KOK, sometimes when you can't change an outcome the only thing left to do is change the way you feel about the outcome.

Short of taking up the deck boards I don't think there's much you can do except live learn to live with it. Ask me how I know...

Sometime when you hammer on these nails the treatment will chip off and they rust, 2 things you might try #1 set the nails and fill the holes #2 sand and paint the nail heads with a metal primer and metal paint before staining the deck.

Thanks nealtw, I went with option #2.
Small deck took about an hour, used a dremel tool and some rustoleum touch up paint in a little bottle with cap brush.

There is no way to prevent rusted nail heads from bleeding through paint. To treat the surface won't stop the rust on the underneath side. The best way to have a great paint job is to remove all the rusted nail heads and replace with stainless nails or screws. The only way to remove the nail heads is with the drill bit from Nail Head Gone. Happy Painting:)

Back