Central Air Draining

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghNinja

Reaction score
I have a central air unit with a 1/2" pipe that receives the water run-off.

This was blocked up in the drain pipe so that the water fills the pipe and overflows.

I was curious if this is an algea build-up or what causes the block, and if there is a bleach or something I can add to the drain pipe that will remove the block over time.

Yes it's algae.
Around here it's code to install an auto shut down so the unit shuts down before the pan over flows.
I've seen a long term prevention to stop the algae from forming.
Some people pore about a cup full of bleach in there once a year.

Algae, bugs, ice in the winter will all block the drain. You should have safety switch that cuts off the unit when there is an overflow. Also, you need to clean the drain at this point since its already blocked. If you have maintenance with an HVAC company, they should clean it once or twice a year.

There is a product that looks like a small tablet that you can drop in your condensate pump that is supposed to kill algae. I don't know what you would use for a gravity drain (I suppose bleach would work).

Simple method shown- once a year.

If blocked may have to snake or disassemble to clean.

Condensate Drain Maint.jpg

Simple method shown- once a year.

If blocked may have to snake or disassemble to clean.

i noticed no trap on tat condensate drain, might want to check with the unit manufacture see if it is required.

why a trap ?

with out a trap, the fan pulls air in thru the condensate pipe,
this air, will stop water from draining..

with a trap, it stops the air from being pulled into the unit {p trap is a seal}
so the water can dripple out

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

frodo, I have been asking about the trap for years and that is first explanation I have seen, thank you.

Back