Mold/mildew smell who should I call?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomato

Reaction score
We have noticed a mildew smell in our home. We are looking for suggestions on who to call to find the source and recommend a solution. We would like to hire an independent party to look for the cause vs a company that finds the cause and fixes it too. Does anyone have a recommendation on who to contact that would provide an unbiased opinion on the cause?
Thank you

You should be able to find engineers that will do air quality tests and give you a report on what needs to be done.

Welcome to the sight.

I'd start by trying to narrow it down to where the smell is coming from.
Is it stronger in one room, is there a damp basement or crawl space?
Get in the attic and check for mold and or staining on the sheathing.
Go on the roof and check for vent seals that have failed.
Look under the sinks for leaks.

If forced air heating, pull your filter and see what it and the inside duct work looks/smells like.

Is it more when it rains? If so you may have bad gutters or leaking roof or something along outside wall. In my property, there was moisture in the 1st floor ceiling. It was coming from water getting trapped between storm window and the original window glass. Instead of leaking out, it would leak internally. It took a while to figure it out.

Back