What sticks to concrete once covered with black mastic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramette

Reaction score
Hi everybody--

Thanks for making this forum available.

We just did a DIY (sort of) removal of about 80 sq. ft of VAT. I say sort of because we hired some guys to do most of the work. This morning they removed the underlying black mastic adhesive with something called Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

I have read that there can be adhesion problems caused by the black mastic residue. We are going to have to skim the floor to level it out before putting the new tile in. What's going to stick to this puppy?

You really are relying on the adhesive, no one knows. But from experience, we remove it all or replace it all.

Well, I did remove it all. The concrete is clean and no longer sticky.

Could you recommend a skimming compound that will bond with the concrete floor in this state?

Well, I did remove it all. The concrete is clean and no longer sticky.

Could you recommend a skimming compound that will bond with the concrete floor in this state?

Rather than guess what will stick, I'd call Custom Building Products Tech Help and ask their experts on what to use for your tile. I had concrete w/ linoleum tile with mastic and I just used their Speed Set and it was fine but I'm sure they'll get you the exact stuff you need. I'm guessing that you might need to scuff the surface slightly with any product you use (or maybe it was scuffed enough from the removal).

CBP Tech Services
Ph 800-282-8786

Latest posts

Back