Locking a French Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
I bought a 15 lite pine french door from Home Depot. I want to put it in my bedroom. I already have an opening, but my question is regarding locking it. Is there any "best" way to do this. The door has no holes. I would have to bore them myself. I was thinking I could just put false handles on and then install a sliding lock on the inside to prevent one side from always swinging open, as we would probably just use one side due to space. Comments?

I put false handles on mine to operate. I also bought a system that puts a spring loaded ball into a detent that keeps them closed. It's not a lock but at least keeps them from swinging. Made by Stanley...

Hello Cibula:
Home Depot sells complete hardware for French doors, however, the drilling and mortising are a real pain. You have a good idea and so does Craig; I'm sure either way will be satisfactory. I'll bet they are beautiful!
Glenn

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make a trip to HD. I'll let you all know if I run into any snags.

What your looking for is a Rollo Latch system. This is what Craigfl is talking about.

Back