How to estimate total amount of tile used for renovation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
Our contractor just finished renovating renovating our bathrooms and I am trying to estimate how much tile he ended up using (in sq ft). The most accurate way would be to take all the tile receipts, figure out how many sqft we bought, then subtract whatever was returned to the sore and left over. Problem is, I lost some of the receipts. So what I did was imply measure all the areas that were covered by the tile. Of course, this does not take into account any waste (broken tile, cut-off pieces etc). Is there a rule of thumb on how to roughly estimate the amount of tile "overhead" as the %age of the square footage installed? Thank you.

Field tile are generally sold by the piece and by the box, so it's the sq. ft. divided by the box and from there you round up, be it to the box, or the next box.

Trim is the same way.

Corners are an extra 1 or 2.

You can figure out how much tile was used by calculating the sqft-age, but without all the receipts it's gonna be hard to figure how much was bought. It sounds like you may be concerned that you got burned.

Back