Ceiling Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDB

Reaction score
This may be a completely inappropriate question for a DIY forum, but I'll ask anyway! (It's in the context of a DIY project at least).

I've cut into my ceiling in search of mold. I think I've found some!

To really get at it though, and to really make sure that there's no new humiditiy coming in, I think I'm going to have to start cutting through the mesh. I actually don't think I'm going to have the energy to put the ceiling back after I finish, so I'll hire someone.

I guess my questions are:
1. Will it be much more expensive because they have to put new mesh in as well?
2. Will the area that needs to be repaired have a huge impact on the cost? That is, will there be huge price difference between hiring someone to replace 5 square feet versus 36 square feet?

Sorry if this is the completely wrong place to ask such a question!

Not inappropriate at all, that's what we are here for.
Not sure what you mean by mesh, are these plaster ceilings?
Yes, the cost of 36 sq. ft. will be more than 5 sq. ft. - approx. 7 times as much.

O.k. - so it's basically material and not labor then! Thanks so much, I appreciate the response.

This is a plaster ceiling. Maybe mesh isn't the right word -- there's some kind of wire structure between the wood laths and the ceiling. I've been cutting away with abandon. I gather that if it get's replaced with drywall then there's no need for wiring?

Thanks again for your response!

Is this a bathroom?
Might want to figure out what caused the mold in the first place.
Lack of an exhost vent, ice dam, roof leak?

Post some pictures.

O.k. - so it's basically material and not labor then! Thanks so much, I appreciate the response.

This is a plaster ceiling. Maybe mesh isn't the right word -- there's some kind of wire structure between the wood laths and the ceiling. I've been cutting away with abandon. I gather that if it get's replaced with drywall then there's no need for wiring?

Thanks again for your response!

No, the material cost (mesh & plaster) is minimal compared to the overall price. The bulk of the cost is labor. It will require the entire ceiling to be repainted because they will not be able to match the color/texture of the existing finish.
Correct; there will be no need for mesh if it gets replaced with dryall.
I would want to know if there is any asbestos in the existing ceiling.

Latest posts

Back