Crawl-space cleaning made easy?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake0B

Reaction score
:usa: Who/What safely cleans a house crawl-space? The crawl-space is 4ft at its highest point; 18in at is lowest point; about 1275 sqft. The crawl-space hasn't been cleaned in over 20 years. Franchise companies like Servpro or Coit only guarantees rugs, carpets, draperies. If you might provide a few suggestions to help me find a good company with proven results! Thank you so much for your help!

Exactly what needs to be cleaned up in the crawl space?

The house recently received a new asphalt/gravel roof. Much repair work was done; new lumber, new sheathing, etc. was installed. When the old material was removed, much fell into the tiny crawl space. The house has a modified double-gabled, lean-to style roof. And, yes, it's space is small. But, there's enough room to "crawl" through and view interior rafters, beams, etc.

So, any help here in referring a good company that will clean out the excess roofing material is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you are talking about an attic not a crawl space.

Attic above house under roof.
Crawl space under house instead of basement.

:usa: Interesting ... Different parts of the country have different meanings for crawl-spaces, dead-spaces, etc. In California, there's not much use for basements because of earthquakes. We'd just sink or crush! I suppose in Canada basements are standard issue, 'eh? The "attic" is most definitely a crawl-space because no standard-sized person can stand up straight once inside. S/He has to crawl along to get at the debris. Because of it's roof design (see above gabled-roof), there's dead-space where no entrance is possible by people. Anything else is another subject entirely!

Keep the comments coming, Blake.

I live in Ohio and a crawl space is under the house, an attic is between the ceiling and the roof no matter how big or small.

I have never heard of anyone wanting to clean their attic unless there was some asbestos or other hazardous material up there.

Back