Fixing grout

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasumi2002

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully this is a simple question.

The toilet in my house had been not sealed properly and was leaking (just a little bit) of water. Now after 3 months it has left the grout by the toilet looking wet - about 2" (it is a light grout).

My question is, how can I fix that. Do I need to re-grout that area, or can it simply be heat dried (with a dryer)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :D

Sounds like the grout is stained, if it doesn't change back in 1 day...
If so, you just have to pick the old stuff out, and mix up new. It's pretty easy. You can't go too far wrong!

I am recently thinking I may have to replace my grout as mine seems to be stained but I am thinking more of hard water staining due to the white film and not wet looking stain. My question is,
How would one go about "picking" out the grout? What tools would work best for that?

If there's just a little bit then a hand grout saw will work, there sold in any box store in the flooring dept. We use a Rockwell Sonicrafter ossilating saw with a carbide grit blade. Lowes sells them. Do not buy the Dremal brand one, it's just a toy tool. Goes through it like butter and you will find a 100 and one other uses for the saw.
Grout stains because it was not sealed or went to long before resealing.

Found a how-to video for you.

[ame=http://youtu.be/DytsjSHlCWU]YouTube - ‪How to Remove and Replace Tile Grout‬‏[/ame]

Back