covering wall opening

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hello all, My wife and I are having a little disagreement about one of my diy'ers project. I had to install a new range exhaust and install new venting duct. I took out the old duct and covered up the opening with vinyl siding, and stuffed some insulation in it from the inside. my wife says that I should have covered up the opening with something more substantial. the opening is only about 10"x3-1/2" she says that base on the home improvement shows that she has seen she is concern about my less than perfect finishing work. thanks all

If I was going to close up a hole on my house, I would seal it with at least some tyvek over the hole ,behind the siding. I would also layer it so when it rains it sheds the water that does get behind the vinyl, down the wall. Then I would tape it with tyvek or housewrap tape just to seal the wind out.

That's my:2cents:
Good luck, that voice called the "wife" never goes away.:D

thanks, I'll wait until it stops rainning and then cover it up. you are absolutely right about the wifey voice. ear plugs don't work

Back