Shrub Removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtda

Reaction score
I will be removing all scrubs in front of my house. I was wondering what step I would need to take to complete the task? Or what is the easiest way to remove the shrubs? Below are the shrubs I want to remove.

IMG_20140520_103507.jpg

I have taken quite a few out that size and sometimes they come out easy and sometimes they fight you. I take it you just want them gone and there is no plan to replant them in a new location. In that case I would start cutting the top off so you can better see what you have below. Then I would start with a shovel about a foot out from the trunk and dig and pry at the base. You may get lucky and it will rock around and you just cut a few roots and the base will pop out. Then again you might not be as lucky and have a tap root going straight down and you will need to dig out enough soil to lean the stump over and get in there with an ax and chop some tough roots off.

I have a full size ¾ ton truck and have used it to pull with a chain at the base and rip them out that way.

Those are the two DIY methods I know of the other method is to cut them off and have a stump grinder service come and get rid of the below ground stuff by chewing it up into mulch. The machines have tracks and can move around on your lawn without causing much if any damage.

Just tie a chain around the base of the tree and to a pick up truck. A couple tugs each and they are out.

Too bad you have to kill them. They look pretty good. Maybe you could post on Craig's list and have somebody who wants them come over & dig them out for you in exchange.

I tried pulling some out lasts summer with my 2500 GMC. They were a little larger than the ones shown but well established and they wouldn’t budge I did manage to mess the yard up pretty good in the process. The other problem with removing them that way is now you have a large shrub to get rid of and also a root ball that weighs several hundred pounds and then you need enough dirt to fill the hole.

Depending on what your plans are for the area could also be a factor. If you just want lawn there, a grinder that take it down to about 6 inches below the surface is fine. If you are planning mulch for the area and planting something around it you can cut it off flush and mulch over the stump. The guy I hire to do my stump grinding on small stuff like this doesn’t even want me to cut them off. He just uses his grinder and mows them off. If you get a stump guy with a grinder make sure he has a sheet of plywood to put against the house for flying stones and such.

Back