lawn care

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuajvd

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove moss from my lawn, is it lime, or rake it out, aerate, overseed or a combination of all of these. My back yard doesnt get too much sun and i know this will always be a problem but what is the easiest fix. Also, we have dogs and is there a tip to reduce the damage they do to the lawn?

There isn't any one way. There's only a combination of things that you can do to change the environment that encourages moss to grow.

Here a list of the "biggies":
1) Too much shade. You already know this, but this problem will defeat most of your other attempts.
2) Your soil is too acidic. Lime will help, but I've had moss thrive even when I've limed.
3) Your soil lawn needs fertilizer. Moss seems to grow where the grass doesn't.
4) Excessive moisture from poor drainage in your lawn.
5) Your soil is too compacted for grass roots to thrive.

There are products that will kill moss, but IMHO the dead moss looks worse than the growing moss. If you address the five causes above, you can scrape off the moss and prepare a proper seedbed for grass seed.

As for the dogs, all you can do is try to restrict them to a back area.

Lawn Care is an important exterior home maintenance task. Any lawn looks better than having no lawn at all, but a well-kept lawn is more than worth the effort. Well-kept lawns maintain a certain charm that attracts people for different reasons. Maybe it is the comfortable playground it provides for kids or the enchanting setting it gives to a landscape.

Lawn care isn't cheap, but don't make it more expensive on yourself than it has to be. Avoid common lawn care mistakes and keep your lawn looking nice and your wallet a little fuller.

Indeed. Maintenance is required on every garden owner. Like on my part, i have to take a lot of care of my lotus pods and other ornamental plants.

Taking proper care of your lawn in the spring can set it off on the right foot for a great-looking summer and fall. Keep your lawn healthy by enlisting with the help of a professional. Lawn Care is really an important exterior home maintenance task.

Back