Replacing corner studs on outside wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedracer40

Reaction score
I'm new here so first I'd like to say hello and thanks in advance for the help.
So, I moved into my house a year ago, and the inspector did note that the house had previous termite and mold damage but had been repaired. From the pictures he took in the crawl space it looks like they just sister boarded the rotted boards. Well, went and moved some boxes in a closet and noticed mold on the drywall, some seemed like it was deep so I just cut that parrot drywall out. Well the studs behind the drywall, and the board across the bottom that the studs attach to at the floor are all really soft at the bottom, soft enough you can take a screwdriver and stick it right into the stud like its cardboard. Should I cut these out and patch in good 2x4's or what? And if so, will i need to jack up the ceiling to hold it and make sure it's supported during repair?

image.jpg

First off welcome to House Repair Talk!

Now, mold will only grow if there's moisture and food source available. What is on the other side of that wall?

I don't think jacking it up is necessary, especially if you repair one stud at a time. I would cut back to solid wood and then replace the piece directly under (not alongside) with a 2x4 cut to fit. You can sister a piece alongside also or just some plywood as a mending plate. One of the real carpenters may come along and overrule me, but that's how I would start.
But Oldog is right; find the source of moisture and stop it, first.

It's an outside wall, the outside of my house is all brick too. 1960's home on a crawl space. I'm going to try and find where the moisture is coming from

Back