Garage problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homefixer

Reaction score
Hi, we have a two door garage, inside the garage it's very humid, looks like there is lot of moisture inside as there is no air circulating. And also it smells sometimes. what can I do to solve these problems. Thanks!!

Maybe look into some passive ventilation. Is the ceiling open (vaulted)? Maybe a gabel vent. Maybe some other type of vent. Maybe a roof vent. Cant say for sure without some pictures.

I would think that getting air in and out would help a lot.

Or, you could air condition and heat the space. Believe it or no some folks do.

You can install a dehumidifier for the size of the room. Sounds like no one put plastic under your slab in the garage before it was poured. This keeps the water from migrating up through the concrete.

Dehumidifier, or replace the slab.:(

I've seen quite a few vents along the bottom similar to the vents for a raised foundation. It wouldn't require any structural changes. Just make sure you have enough of them to get cross ventilation

Thanks for all your replies, how about if I start having couple of damprid bags inside the garage just to start off with. Of course I agree it badly needs ventilation!
Thanks!

I don't think damp-rid would do a darn thing in a garage. Can you leave the door open sometimes?

If you insist on going the damp-rid route get the big bucket. It is meant for larger areas. Keep in mind it is only designed for small amounts of liquid removal or for those with sensitive allergies.

You could paint the floor with a water proofing paint. Before doing that, Make sure you have roof vents or a ridge vent on the roof. If not, start there. The air must circulate. Otherwise just keep a window cracked. It's probably not a costly fix.

I didn't think about the slab. There are test kits that you can get that will tell you how much moisture is coming up from the floor. If there is too much you might want to consider putting a french drain around the perimiter.

Back