Tile on Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard anywhere from 24 hours to 28 days. I guess if I was going it, I'd wait the 28 days to be sure there was no question.

Last edited:
You can do the test as Neal stated, duct tape a piece of visqueen to the floor and see if any condensation appears. Or for about $20 you can get a calcium chloride test from a local flooring supplier . It is a fairly simple process, just follow the directions included with the test.
Tile is very forgiving when it comes to moisture, here in Florida we do a lot of tile work on very new slabs, as early as 28 days! Remember to get an accurate moisture reading it must be done in a controlled environment ( ac running, home dried in etc....)

The standard for concrete drying is 28 days per inch. Therefore a 4" slab should dry a minimum of 112 days. No one follows this but they should. Don't know about tile, but for other floor coverings, any sooner would void the warranty. I have been installing and teaching installations (everything but ceramic) for 40 years.

Not that I doubt you, Sam, but have you never mud-floated a shower wall and then tiled in less than 28 DAYS????? That would mean over three months just to tile a bathroom floor . . . not gonna happen.

Help me understand this in the field . . .

I said no one does it, but that is the standards for other floor coverings.
http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_drying.asp
This isn;t the one I usually use but it lists pretty much the same amount of time. It says a month per inch.

Last edited by a moderator:
That time span does seam a little excessive, but we are taking about indoors not out side so I can understand it taking longer but not that long.

I said, no one follows it. Look at carpet, for example. The mills say that carpet should be rolled out in the customers house 24-48 hours before installation, that's not gonna happen either.

That time span does seam a little excessive, but we are taking about indoors not out side so I can understand it taking longer but not that long.

Try moisture testing and sticking to the manufacturers requirements. On most concrete floors, 4 months isn't long enough. It's their out. If it fails, you didn't follow their requirements, so no warranty.

Just to close out this thread . . . I did the plastic sheet test every day until I got no condensation under the plastic in the morning. It took 8 days.

Latest posts

Back